Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Should Parliament Sits More Days In A Year?

The above title is a question in respond to a suggestion made by one of the MPs from an opposition party.

My answer is....

I DISAGREE!!! The current sitting days are long enough already. You may have reasons. But I also have excuses that seriously demand your attention. I know the more days the Parliament sits, the more questions you can ask to Ministers. 

But do you know that it also claims more time of productive working hours of the civil servants!!! The civil servant's true job is to carry out the government program for rakyat. Not to preoccupy themselves with too much time, I repeat "too much time" preparing answer to all questions from the MPs. Which, it is a great loss to the rakyat to enjoy benefits from the programs that have been planned for implementation but will be severely affected should their focus shifted to other unproductive jobs. In financial term, I call it an expensive opportunity cost for the rakyat.

Do you get it? Probably the MPs should maximise the opportunity to ask during the break. Over coffee session?


Author
-- saupee 
18 November 2015, Kuala Lumpur

No comments: