Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A Man of Respect: Tan Sri Abdul Wahid Omar

I have a high respect on him. Though I have never met him, but based on what my friends speak about him, articles written about him and the way the market regards him, I'm truly inspired to know more about him, meet him, learn from him. I wish there will be a bibliography book of him. As a show of my admiration, I reproduce the Star newspapers' article, 7 June 2016 about Tan Sri Abdul Wahab Omar on my blog.

By: The Starbiz, Tuesday, 7 June 2016. The Original article can be found on The Star Online here.

Title: Wahid: I had action-packed experience for three years 


Petaling Jaya: Tan Sri Abdul Wahid Omar describes his three years stint as a Cabinet minister as an "action-packed" experience.

In a note to the media, the former minister in the Prime Minister's Department shared some of his experience in the Cabinet, Economic Council and Parliament.

"I still remember being nervous attending my first Cabinet meeting on June 12, 2013," Wahid said.

"Thankfully I was accepted by the other Cabinet members cordially," he added.

As minister, Wahid oversees the Economic Planning Unit (EPU) and Unit Kerjasama Awam Swasta (UKAS).

"I hope that I had added value in the discussion by giving the perspective of the private sector in from various issues before the government's decisions," he said.

The former president and chief executive officer of Malayan Banking Berhad was one of the ministers in charge of the economy.

"Without the fiscal consolidation efforts including the subsidies rationalisation and good and service tax implementation, the government would need to reduce its development expenditure significantly, which would impact countries' economic growth," he said.


In addressing the uncertainty in the global economy, the government has formed the Special Economic Committee chaired by Wahid from August 2015.


"Several proactive measures were announced by Prime Minister on September 14, 2015 to stabilise the financial market, improve the wellbeing of the people, support business activities and increase the integrity of the institutions."


"The financial market has stabilised and that our economy is expected to continue to grow between 4% and 4.5% this year, faster than world's economic growth of 3%,"


Wahid said he also had the opportunity to assist the International Trade and Industry Minister (MITI), Dato' Seri Mustapa Mohamed in the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPPA) negotiations, including several briefing sessions to the US trade representative, Michael Froman, in relation to the Bumiputera Economic Empowerment Agenda and the role of government-linked companies.


"I believe the Malaysia and MITI team has done the best in the negotiations in resulting getting beneficial terms. This includes the recognition of the Bumiputera Economic Empowerment Agenda as an inclusive policy in the TPPA," he said.


Wahid shared his most unique experience during his stint in Parliament when he had to answer questions from Gombak MP in Parliament on July 1, 2013, on the unemployment rate.


"After answered the supplementary question from Gombak and Ayer Hitam MPs, I felt challenged when the opposition leader, Permatang Pauh MP himself stood up and voiced out a supplementary question."


"Although I felt like a rookie, I believe I was able to answer the question well even though I was intimidated by the opposition leader."


He said his experience on that first day had helped him in subsequent Parliament sessions.


"I had the opportunity to table three bills on Malaysian Airline System Bhd (Administration) 2014, Aviation Commission 2015 and Gas Supply (Amendment) 2016.


"Three bills in three years of service represent a very valuable experience for me." -- end.


Why I respect and admire Tan Sri Wahid? In my eyes, he is a humble person. He accepted the minister post offered by Prime Minister Dato' Sri Najib only for one term. The reasons were that he wanted to give the private sector's perspectives in governing the country and to encourage the government doing the right things. He said when interviewed by The Star's Mazuin Nik Anis.

Unlike other people, he is not a power hungry man who is determined not trying lobbying thePrime Minister to extend his tenure as government's minister. It is actually a great challenge in letting go all the power and privileges he was enjoying. However, he demonstrated the highest sincerity when he admitted that he joined the government because he wanted to give back to the country which had allowed him the opportunity to study in a boarding school and pursue his tertiary education on a scholarship. Ohhh what a noble man of Wahid!

I wish you all the best Tan Sri Abdul Wahid Omar. Where ever you go, you will be accepted and appreciated. The country thanking you for your service. Please continue your contribution to the Agama, Bangsa and Negara. -- saupee






No comments: